Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Landmark Day

I received a letter in the mail today that had me crying so hard I almost turned around and went back into the house instead of to the grocery store. I could hardly control my emotions. The only way to explain it is through the experiences I have had as a mother.

I attended three years of college in Los Angeles which amounted to Junior College work, general education and floating around trying to find an interest. I went from Philosophy to Economics. Many years later, in 1998, I finally applied to a university for a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology. The day I got that letter of acceptance, I cried - it was a great landmark, comparable to the day you realize that you are pregnant (13 times for me).

And then in 2004 I received yet another letter saying I was accepted into the Masters Degree program in Instructional Technology. It was comparable in feelings to the first time you feel that baby kick inside of you. I wore a glow, daily, enjoying the pregnancy so very, very much, but finally ready to welcome my baby into my arms. I have similarly enjoyed the journey of getting a masters degree.

But today is the beginning of a whole new change in my life. It is here. I held the letter in my hand that said I was accepted into the PhD program for Instructional Technology at Utah State University. It was like holding your brand new baby in your arms, knowing that you will love and nourish this baby for its life and you will grow through all of the hardship, through all of the miracles.

From where I stand, this is one of those landmark days. I am the only one to get a bachelors degree amongst my siblings and my ancestors. I am the first (because my #3 son is in an MBA program) to get a Masters degree and now a Doctorate. Oh my gosh. You just can't imagine what this means for me - a very life long dream is about to be embarked upon.

I am humbled, I am ready and I am thankful.

No comments: